[DML] Re: Nology ignition opinions.

There is a lot of theory underlying this subject. The real short
answer is that the ignition system is just there to supply energy
(electrical discharge aka spark) to start the combustion process. Not
enough energy and no combustion, too much and still combustion. More
than what is necessary does not do anything once the combustion
process is started. Timing does enter into this and the faster the
motor is running the more important the duration and amplitude. Higher
combustion pressures require a higher input of energy to start the
combustion. Think of a match in a wind tunnel. The higher the wind the
bigger the flame so it won't blow out. Most stock solid state ignition
systems are completly adequate for normal (stock) use. When they age
and cannot meet the requirements of the stock motor they just have to
be replaced, not upgraded. If you increase combustion pressures or run
above stock RPM"s the stock ignition system will be inadequate. In
many instances people upgrade the ignition coil and all of a sudden
the car runs better. Not because the coil is so much better than a
stock coil, it is better because it is not 20 years old and having a
hard time getting enough spark out, especially at higher loads. There
is no "Magic Bullet" that can all of a sudden give you a lot of
improvement. There ARE a lot of little things that all taken together
will give some improvement but you will spend a lot of $$ for what
will be small gains. Such is the case of "Diminishing Returns". The
factory did as much as they could within the rules of economics. Speed
costs money, how fast do you want to go? For many a good and thourgh
tune-up will get you the most "Bang for the Buck".
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757