Re: [DML] Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft

On 5/12/05, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> any case the general consensus is that you should remove the radiator
> anyway to at least inspect it and/or replace it.

Oh, absolutely. If it's original, you might as well just replace it
while you're under there. If you don't you'll get to pull everything
apart again in a few months when Murphy's law kicks in and the
radiator dumps your coolant all over the freeway.

> It is difficult to
> juggle the fan shroud with the fans, the radiator, and the condensor
> coil when you are underneath with anti-freeze dripping down your arms.

Well, the whole point of not removing the radiator is leaving the
hoses connected. When I swapped mine, I didn't get a single drop of
anti-freeze because I didn't disconnect the radiator. If you have to
disconnect the hoses you might as well just take the radiator out with
the fans at that point.

> without taking the fan shroud out of the car. In any case it is just
> good practice on a 20 year old car to do what needs to be done in
> whatever area you are taking apart. That is unless you are trying to
> keep your costs down and "cheap out". This means replacing the hoses,
> radiator, anti-freeze, and brushes inside the fan motors.

I can't argue with that.

-Ryan