[DML] Re: Convex mirrors - update

I own a BMW that was purchased in Germany (US spec car) for ultimate
importation into the US after two years. The owner bought the Euro-
style mirrors locally and installed them while in Germany. Since the
mirrors are still on the car, and nobody in customs blew it up or
made him remove them on the way in, my assumption is that you won't
get in any trouble for it here. You just can't buy them here because
they would not be legal for the manufacturers to install (I'm sure
there's some FMVSS code on this).

Once you own the car you can do quite a bit to it without running
afoul of the authorities. Even more on a 25-year old car. About the
only thing the government cares about after you own it is emissions,
and even that is not evenly applied around the country.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Chapelhow" <chapelhow@xxxx>