[DML] Re: Restorable or Parts Car?

The way a car becomes a "parts car" is when the costs to make it a
working car again exceed the value it would have when finished. This
is essentially the same calculation an insurance company does to
determine if a car should be "totaled". If the cost to repair or
restore is within 10% of the value of the car when finished they will
generally total a car figuring there are things they will miss and
underestimate the costs involved. From your description it sounds
close, especially if you do not do most of the work yourself. The
major determining factor is going to be the aquisition cost and if you
can get a "clean" title. If the title is a salvage title this may
already be a parts car. Depends on the State. You also have to "look
ahead" and try to see how it will turn out. If, when you are all done,
 it still looks ugly, it may not be worth it. Better to pay more and
wind up with a nicer car. Bringing the car "back from the dead" will
require a lot of time besides the money. If you do it yourself it will
also take up space for a while. This could take months. If you are not
handy and familiar with Deloreans you should pass on this one and
maybe someone else could do it. There is nothing worse than getting
half-way through a project like this and then deciding you bit off
more than you could chew. You will lose a lot of money and time if you
make that mistake. We don't need another parts car but this one may be
beyond your abilities. I just finished a "parts car" that was sitting
for 10 years. It wasn't painted but it needed everything else. If and
when I sell it I won't be making a fortune if I add in my labor but I
did have a lot of fun!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757