[DML] Not so Frustrated beyond belief now

[DML] Not so Frustrated beyond belief now

What I meant by this is that no matter how lean the air fuel mixture is
the exhaust is still full of raw fuel.

  I tracked down (I think) most of the problem(s). I pulled the air
intake today to check that the plug wires weren't swapped around and
found that the dist. cap wasn't seated properly and that I had gotten
the fuel lines from the cpr and the cold start valve switched around.
STUPID, STUPID STUPID. I don't know how many times Ive disconnected
those and put them back over the years. I looked at the fuel lines,
compared them to the diagram and still missed it.

I realized that although I had cleaned and re-gapped the plugs last
weekend they were fouled with soot from cylinders not firing because of
A) the dist cap sitting cockeyed so it wasn't firing on all cylinders
and B) Fuel all out of whack from having the lines hooked up wrong .

So I think that this was a combination of
Dead RPM relay
Fouled 02 sensor
Dead Frequency valve
Dist cap not seated
My stupidity in switching the lines around
Sooted plugs
Plugs not gapped correctly , bad plug wires, carbon tracked cap and
weak coil (when I started into this whole mess)

I changed out a plug that was fouled and wasn't firing and things ran a
lot better. Will change out the rest of the plugs tomorrow and I am
keeping my fingers crossed that I will have a running vehicle again.

 >> The above was written on Saturday so now for the update.

Changed out the sooted plugs and fired things up. BINGO! Got the
mixture dialed in and thing were great. Hopped into the car to try it
out and at the end of the street it lost power and died. Started it up
again and headed home with the car surging badly. I thought to myself
"now why is that fuel pump so noisy" . To add insult to injury, with
all this idling too rich in the driveway I had ran the car out of gas
and the fuel sender decided to not read correctly. I put in the gallon
of gas for the mower and headed down the street to the gas station
where it took 13.5 gallons to fill up.
I drove it around for the next half hour to clean the soot off the 02
sensor and out of the exhaust system. More that I drove it the better
it ran. The car idles without a miss and holds rock steady at about 775
rpms.

Took it home parked it, washed it and then changed the wiper seal and
"cat whisker seal " for the toll booth window. Apparently the poor old
window motor couldn't handle the new seals and the cable popped out of
the guide tube when I rolled up the window so I know what my next
project will be LOL. While I have the door open I will be changing the
door lock to make it a one key system then all my adventures inside the
door will be done and I can put the plastic sheet on, put the door
panels back on for the last time and forget about digging around inside
it for a good long time.

A much less frustrated
Phil Priestley

Vin 2105