[DML] Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL

[DML] Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL

First, which stud did Midas break? If it's one of the manifold to head
studs, you really need to replace it. If it's one of the manifold to
crossover pipe studs, I'd recommend removing/snapping the other one.
There are 2 unused stud holes in the manifold that the crossover pipe
retainer should be rotatable 90 degrees to use. And even if that
doesn't work, the original holes are easily re-drilled off the car.

Second, I'd recommend leaving the head studs in place. They are very
small diameter, highly susceptible to breakage. Simply clean up the
threads with a 7mm die (turn it around backwards to get close to the
head). I used replacement stainless nuts (Fastenal sells 7mm) to
ensure easy future removal (clean up the exposed thread and spin them
off). Rob grady sells stainless 7mm studs themselves if you're brave
enough to try removing the factory ones.

The best way to reach the catalytic converter nuts is from the front
side of the crossmember. There's enough room for a 3/8" drive socket
with the O2 sensor in place. Reach it with a 12"-18" extension. Like
the manifold to crossover pipe studs, don't worry if they snap off.
The holes can be re-drilled easily once the converter is off the car
(because the muffler is stainless, it won't have any trouble coming
off that end. Guillotine clamp is probably toast however).

By all means, reassemble everything with an eye for future removal.
Items in the Valley of Death are *SO* much more accessible from under
the car, once the crossover pipe is out of the way. Imagine how nice
it will be to have stainless hardware you can simply spin off to
replace cap & rotor or plug wires (fuel air mixture unit will still
need to rise up an inch or two), the ported vacuum switch or vacuum
lines, THE CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER (that's actually the first thing you
see from underneath), tighten hose clamps on the back of the water
pump, etc.

Bill Robertson