Re: [DML] Engine Options.

OK, let's get to the nub of the matter. The PRV was only really a
"performance" engine in the Renault Alpine A610 and GTA V6 Turbo, the
latter of which has the same engine (basically) as the Renault 25 turbo.
In France, the really rare version was the Safrane bi-turbo but don't go
thinking this'd be a strait swap. There was also the 24 valve version
but it's rare outside France. I'm ignorign the Venturi because they
developed their own internals and heads.

All are even-fire with EFI and electronic ignition running from a
bespoke 66/3 flywheel trigger.

The A610 "only" puts out 250bhp as standard but in a recent magazine
article, it was put up against all of the newer performance renaults,
for example a the Clio V6. Some of its competitors (on paper) were way
above it in the HP stakes and all were tuned, tweaked and generally
worked on to get the best out of them. The A610 was 100% standard. It
wiped them all out in every single test.

The DeLorean engine is odd-fire. It's a 90 degree V6, and put simply, 90
degrees does not divide evenly into 360 when you're working with 6
pistons. This is why V8s are usually 90 degrees and V12's can be either.
The three crank pins are 120 degrees apart in the DeLorean engine and
this means that the pistons do not fire exactly 60 degrees apart but
instead they fire in pairs. For a turbo application this means that the
air flow in the intake will not be constant and three pistons will see a
higher pressure than the other three when under boost.

Renault made the engine even-fire by cleverly offsetting the shared
crank pins by 30 degrees from one another. They also increased the
diameter of the crankpin substantially, and uprated the conrods, pistons
and installed sodium cooled valves and of course the cams are totally
different and lack the drive gear for the distributor.

So, to summarise - the Legend turbo engines are unique because they
stick with the odd-fire engine and K-jet injection which will have a
custom setup on the control pressure regulator to enrich under boost.
The distributor will be custom made for the correct ignition curve. The
crankshaft should be custom made to increase the size of the crankpins,
and the cams will be custom made too.....

Essentially you have to swap our nearly all the engine internals to
turbocharge one of these engines whether sticking with K-Jet or going EFI.

But I'm not saying it can't be done with off-the-shelf parts....

Martin