Re: [DML] JZD in Autoweek

The thing here is it's not about what journalists print, and what they
don't print, nor even the inaccuracies in their information. It's
about how they present the information, in an effort to get their own
opinions across. Politics are perhaps the best example out there. You
can have two separate reporters write a their own stories about the
same event. And depending upon what their own political views are
about said subject, you will end up with two entirely separate stores.

Yes, you will have these two reporters state the same facts, but how
these facts are presented, will completely change the positions of
those involved, and thus the positive or negative light on on the
people, and/or the subject matter involved. And ultimately, will
influence you and how you feel about the subject. Last years
Presidential election is the best example of this. And hell, even if
you don't lie, you can easily exclude facts that hurt the opinion that
you want your readers to develop. Or even include semi-relevant ones
that help your political outlook.

Here is a perfect example.

Neutral:
8583 DMC-12 cars were built during the company's 2-year operation.

Negative:
Only 8583 DMC-12 cars were produced during the companies 2-year run,
before it closed among scandals of money laundering, and John DeLorean
being arrested on drug trafficking charges. During his trial,
DeLorean's high profile lawyer Howard Weitzman, who also successfully
got OJ Simpson acquitted, managed to get John DeLorean acquitted of
all charges, without him ever having to testify himself. Even after
they were produced, DMC-12 required many thousand of hours, and
dollars in warranty work, so that they could become roadworthy for
those people who ended up buying them.

Positive:
During it's two year run, the factory set in an impoverished area of
Northern Ireland, known as Dunmurray. Although this was the very
first, and in some cases only job that these workers had, they managed
to build 8583 DMC-12 cars in the two years that the plant was in
operation. Of this, it is estimated that well over 6,000 of these cars
are still on the road, and are driven by their loyal owners. It is not
uncommon to find that after 25 years, many owners still use their
DeLorean automobiles daily. They have proven so reliable in fact, that
some even rely upon them as their only mode of transportation! Later
on John DeLorean was arrested by the FBI on charges related to drug
trafficking. He was acquitted by a jury of 12, when it was proven that
he was entrapped by the government. A common belief shared among many
DeLorean owners and enthusiasts is that it may possibly have been the
"Big Three" in Detroit who were scarred that DeLorean posed a serious
threat to them. Much in the same way as to what happened with Preston
Tucker, as he seriously criticized Detroit's lack of concern with
consumer safety in his book, "On a Clear Day, you can see General Motors".

Now, take in all three stories that I wrote above. Did I write any
inaccuracies? No. I set out to write that there were 8583 cars built,
and I did just that. However, I still continued to put both whatever
spin upon the subject that I could. And I gave examples of both
negative and positive reporting, dependent upon how I wanted to
present the information. If I want the reader to share my negative
outlook on a particular subject, then I'll package all negative
information that's relevant to it, in with it. And vice-versa. It's
like the musical score in a movie, that wants to set the tone of joy,
fear, etc... You wouldn't but a banjo into the score for a horror
movie where someone is about to die, just as you wouldn't want to
include information that detracts from your opinion.

"Journalistic Integrity" should go beyond simply reporting the facts,
and should encompass a writer NOT including their personal feelings on
a subject, whether or not I agree with them. Last time I checked,
that's what the editorial section was for.

If John DeLorean's story has ever taught me anything, it's that I have
no idea what in the world is going on around me.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"