Re: [DML] vacuum leaks

Not just K-Jetronic -- all fuel metering devices (including
carburetors) are unable to deliver a proper fuel/air mixture when
unmetered air is sucked into the engine through a vacuum leak.

If the leak is big enough (what I call "catastrophic" -- usually
anything more than 1/4"), the engine may not even run.

K Jetronic does suffer from a plethora of potential leakage points,
which you address with that comprehensive O ring kit. Note also that K
Jetronic PCV is constant (calibrated nipple vs traditional valve),
which I guess is the source of unconventional leaks through the
dipstick tube etc (Workshop Manual Page D:06:03). And as Warren and I
both attest, those big plastic lines to the front of the car can crack
and leak.

Old vacuum operated diaphragms are another common source of leaks. Our
cars have 3 in the HVAC ductwork under the dash, 1 each on the
charcoal canister, heater core shutoff valve, and ignition advance,
and a big one on the power brake booster. HVAC mode switch itself can
leak as well. Even though the vacuum canister is well protected, it
could be yet another source of leakage.

I've also seen several cars on which the plastic line to the heater
core shutoff valve is cracked, though that should only present a
problem at Max A/C (and a very small one at that).

A person would have to be masochistic not to replace every vacuum line
and seal whenever they are exposed for other maintenance (especially
if they are original from the factory!).

Bill Robertson

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Vacuum-silicone-kit-black.
> jpg

performance due to