[DML] odd brake noise?

It is late Sat afternoon, I've spent the past couple hours trying to track
down noise coming from what I think is left front wheel region. First I
thought it was speedo cable, and as it is not working anyhow because of a
problem up behind the dash, I disconnected it and tie- wrapped it up out of
the way. I also pulled out the plastic cap with the square hole that covers
the stub axle nut and engages the right angle drive. No change. Can a faulty
angle drive be noisy under these conditions?

The sound is periodic at the wheel rotation frequency, goes away when I turn
right, becomes much louder when I put on the brakes. I think it is something
to do with brake pads dragging, but the sound also has an odd rubbery
characteristic to it, almost like the brake pad has a rubberized insert that
has become disloged and is jamming between the pad and the rotor. I took
both wheels off (just in case some weird acoustic thing was making me think
the problem was on the left when it is actually on the right), spun the
rotors, nothing obvious there, just a slight drag at one point in the
rotation, feeling of the drag just what one would expect for brake pads
skimming a rotor that has some slight runout. Pads look fine, caliper bolts
are tight,..

I googled for 'delorean brake noise', found a hit that suggested a stub axle
nut not fully torqued to 165 ft-lbs causes a periodic break 'squeal'. So I
made the trip down to the local hardware store, picked up a 32mm socket
(.010 bigger than the desired 1-1/4", which was out of stock), and could not
budge the nut while hanging on a 2ft wrench arm, so figure that is not the
problem. Tho I did this only on left side, not right.

This car is my daily driver, and I need it, but don't want to drive it until
I understand what's going on. Any suggestions?

Pete Cameron