Re: [DML] odd brake noise?

Pete,

What are describing sounds like it might be the wheel bearing.  With
the car lifted so the tire is not touching the ground, alternate
pushing on one side and pulling on the other to determine if you can
feel any movement of the hub on the axle.  Any movement will indicate
that you have bearing trouble.

Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components

On Apr 3, 2005, at 10:01 AM, Cameron, Peter wrote:

<snip>
> The sound is periodic at the wheel rotation frequency, goes away when
> I turn
> right, becomes much louder when I put on the brakes. I think it is
> something
> to do with brake pads dragging, but the sound also has an odd rubbery
> characteristic to it, almost like the brake pad has a rubberized
> insert that
> has become disloged and is jamming between the pad and the rotor. I
> took
> both wheels off (just in case some weird acoustic thing was making me
> think
> the problem was on the left when it is actually on the right), spun the
> rotors, nothing obvious there, just a slight drag at one point in the
> rotation, feeling of the drag just what one would expect for brake pads
> skimming a rotor that has some slight runout. Pads look fine, caliper
> bolts
> are tight,..

<snip>