Re: [DML] Re: Valley of death - 3-in-one

Re: [DML] Re: Valley of death - 3-in-one

Hi

As not to create to many messages on the same topic I will answer to three
posts in this one message.
First was Dave:

> Anything is better than letting it fill up with road dirt<SNIP>
> I'm not a big fan of filling in the holes, my thought is that when
> the filler ultimatly breaks down it will hold moisture in there even
> moreso.
****
The good thing about silicone is that it hardens by absorbing moisture from
the surroundings. It is also pretty durable and stable for a long time. I
don't think it will break down anytime soon. The one that I used is good for
temperatures from -65 to +315 degrees C (-85 to 600 F). Then I painted it
with high temp paint, so even if the silicone breaks down the paint should
hold the moisture away. I think I'm safe

> The cover deflector plate is a great idea! Did you happen to take any
> pictures of that?
****
No, I did not take pictures of the plate. I fabricated the plate out of 1mm
think sheet of aluminum. A lot of cutting and grinding and the plate fits in
the valley covering the entire area. It's a weird shape but it fits
perfectly. Even without the silicone it would sit at a correct angle to make
any water run off to the back. You can see it in my pic. It's painted black.
Next was David Teitelbaum
> I don't think it is that big a deal. If you replace the hoses and
> seals every 20 years or so you and don't leave the car outside and use
> premium anti-freeze and change it once in a while it will be fine.<SNIP>
****
Well, its not just antifreeze that causes the corrosion in the valley. I
found a lot of dirt and water in there. Of course the antifreeze will speed
up the process greatly but just water and dirt will do it too. Besides, you
say that if I change the hoses and not leave the car outside.... then you
should add "and don't drive it in the winter". But the thing is I love the
car for what it is - A CAR. I drive it as much as I can because I love it so
much. It was meant to be driven. I drive it in the rain, snow and I do leave
it outside sometimes. I have an interesting short movie clip that shows how
I enjoy driving it on snow. I will make it available when I find a place to
upload it. Anyway, I drive the car and I want it to last as long as
possible. That is why I filled up those holes and made a plate to cover the
valley of death.
Next was Jeremiah
> That's pretty cool, Tom - nice job!
****
Thank you :) I'm proud of what I did.
I decided to go with silicone (I did think about JB weld) because it stays
'soft'. I thought about thermal expansion and figured that silicone will be
much better. I will allow the metal around it to 'work' with changing
temperatures and not break off of the surface. Then I fabricated a plate
just to make sure that nothing gets in there :).

That will be all for now....
The valley of death is no more for me :)

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik@xxxxx
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom" <tomciodmc@xxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> While working on my engine (water pump rebuild) I decided to
> something about
>> the valley of death. Even though the engine has low miles and it
<SNIP>