[DML] Re: Door adjustment

When the car was assembled the doors are fit to the body and then all
the other panels are fit to line up with the doors. Generally it is
unwise to mess with the hinges. If you know that the doors were ever
removed from the car it is possible they were not reinstalled
correctly in which case you could try adjusting the doors. The safest
method of adjusting the doors is to remove the torsion bar. I would do
it for 2 reasons. One, the obvious, all that power in there might get
away from you. The other less obvious reason is you could scratch or
otherwise damage the torsion bar resulting in it's breakage. I would
first try some foam padding under the Tee roof to raise it. You can
also loosen the screws along the back, top edge and raise the Tee roof
a little. They are there, hidden under the rubber seal. In general
trying to fit panels involves a lot of compromise. You may never get
it perfect, sometimes you kind of "split the difference" and make it
as close as you can. Adjusting one panel usually involves adjusting
another  and then another and so on. You have to start somewhere, on
Deloreans we start with the doors. BTW is is not easy adjusting the
doors. Once you loosen the hinges you mess with ALL of the ways it
could move and you may not get it back as good as it was. The doors
are heavy and hard to handle. When it is closed how does it line up
with the lower sill? If it is even front-to-back along the lower edge
when closed you probably shouldn't touch the shims under the rear
hinge. If you do adjust the hinges you will also have to readjust the
locking pins. Lowering the rear hinge will raise the front part of the
door a little, how does it line up along the windshield and with the
front fender? Look at the fit of all the panels before you touch
anything and think about how what you want to change will affect
everything.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757