[DML] Re: Air Conditioning

As long as you are critiqing my posts I will offer some comments on
yours. You are obviously very well trained, both formally and
clinically. Your spelling is also much better. On the minus side I
think IMHO you give way too much minutiae for most of the people on
the List when they are looking for simple answers and are lost with
much of  the details that you provide. If you are trying to impress
with your obviously vast knowledge just who are you trying to impress,
this List? I try to keep my answers short and sweet without going into
every detail. Of course that can leave out much but if asked further
you can always offer deeper detail.

Since you asked I AM certified,
thank you. I was trying to point out that for most people A/C work is
not worth the effort and investment and they would be better off
giving it out. Sort of like tire balancing and alignments. Sometimes
it just isn't worth it. I agree if there is a problem with the A/C a
thourgh job is always better but economics always enters into the
picture. If the system is just low and clean then fixing the leak and
recharging is OK. Once you start replacing parts it is not always
clear where to stop. In any case every time you break open a joint you
take the chance of damaging it. Do you just do some "O" rings, or now
do the dryer, service valves, oil, screen, etc? You get carried away
and the customer pays. You always have to find some kind of balance
between the type of work you want to build your reputation on and the
bill you have to give the customer. Too high and they never come back.
You can't turn every job into a restoration. On the subject of
"Drop-In" replacements, I am using R-414, a blended refrigerent. I am
getting very good results and can recomend it. It is completely
compatible with all oils and seals and can even be topped off several
times. In fact (although it is not recomended) you can top off an R-12
system with it. I do like to pull a real hard vacuum, say 500u for an
hour so there is no water vapor. Water vapor is the big killer for any
closed cycle refrigerent system, it rots it from the inside out. I
doubt if a DIY is going to spend for a decent vacuum pump, reclaimer,
gauges, tools, supplies, etc. It just isn't worth it for one or two
cars. Now if you are going to do the neighborhood, that is a different
story.

David Teitelbaum
vin 10757