[DML] Re: Started my frame-off restoration!

[DML] Re: Started my frame-off restoration!

John,

Regarding the extended stay in the tank, this was first based on
concern over removing too much material in a stronger solution
and second, the estimate for stipping was based on safe stripping
"as long as it would take".  The owner was not in much of a hurry.

As most Delorean vendors know, there are quite a few Delorean
owners that look for the least expensive parts and labor to keep
their car driveable and this is often not a good thing.  Most of
the repairs done by DWC (Delorean Welding Center) have been done
as "frame on" repairs, which are much more difficult to control
quality repairs.  Any intense heat source used on the OEM frame
(welding, cutting torch, etc.) can cause significant distortions
and the best repairs are made "frame off" in a full size jig.
Most Delorean owners want the least expensive solution or quick
fix to keep the car going, which is not best for repair business.

As for the actual repairs, in almost every case heavier gauge
steel has been used, which should last longer than the original
thinner, mild steel.  POR15 is an excellent product that has
proven to be extremely durable on the suspension parts on my
winter transportaion vehicle, bathing in salt spray all winter.
Powdercoating only works if you can get powder to all areas.

As far as galvanizing, I have seen one frame done and the same
one frame warped from the heat.  For some cars, this would not
be much of a problem, but for the Delorean with its stock front
suspension design, there is not much adjustment for correction.
I would not recommend following the path of galvanizing and if
it warps, I will fix it afterwards, especially if the fixing
afterwards involves cutting/welding of the galvanized sections.
This brings up other welding issues as well as more heat again.

Then there is the weight issue.  The bare galvanized frame with
only a few repair sections welded in weighed in at nearly 90 lbs.
more than the stock, epoxy coated frame.  Powdercoating over it
may add another 10 - 20 lbs.  Why add all this extra weight?

After all the work was done on the one galvanized frame example,
the owner saved only a few thousand over buying a new SS frame.
The owner said if he had the opportunity to do it all over, he
would have purchased the SS frame and not have all the hassles.

As for Pearce Design making lower cost, mild steel frames along
with SS frames, I do not think this will ever happen.  Why mess
with a less desireable material to try to lower cost.  It's nice
to think there would be a market, but there isn't a market now.

Keep in mind this is first hand knowledge, not speculation or
best hopes or best intentions, so weigh all the info accordingly.

Good Luck with your frame refurbishing project.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dmcjohn@xxxx wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> Did someone really leave his frame in an acid tank for years?!
Wow,