[DML] Re: Started my frame-off restoration!

[DML] Re: Started my frame-off restoration!

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Just a few questions on some of your
comments...
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "d_rex_2002" <rich@xxxx> wrote:
> As for the actual repairs, in almost every case heavier gauge
> steel has been used, which should last longer than the original
> thinner, mild steel.

Yes, I'm definitely going to use thicker steel when replacing the
bottom plate of the front crossmember.

You mentioned:

> As far as galvanizing, I have seen one frame done and the same
> one frame warped from the heat.  For some cars, this would not
> be much of a problem, but for the Delorean with its stock front
> suspension design, there is not much adjustment for correction.

Would you have any pictures of this warped frame? Or any more info?
Such as was the frame structurally sound before dipping? Where did it
warp, and how badly? How long was the frame submerged in the bath
for? This is the first frame I've heard of that actually warped, so
I'd appreciate any info you have on it.

you mentioned:

> After all the work was done on the one galvanized frame example,
> the owner saved only a few thousand over buying a new SS frame.
> The owner said if he had the opportunity to do it all over, he
> would have purchased the SS frame and not have all the hassles.

I'd love a pearce frame, but just can't buy it at the moment. But, I
calculate a huge saving going my route. The galvanising will cost
about $150, sandblasting and repairs about $350, powdercoating
another $400 or so. Acid dipping I'm not sure of the cost yet...
Anyway, it will be significantly lower I expect than buying and
shipping and importing a stainless frame...

If you don't advise the galvanising process, what would you recommend
for treating loose epoxy inside the rear crossmember and shocktowers
where sandblasting could not reach. Then, how would you re-protect
this area?

> Keep in mind this is first hand knowledge, not speculation or
> best hopes or best intentions, so weigh all the info accordingly.
>
> Good Luck with your frame refurbishing project.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.

Thanks for your advice and good luck wishes! Hopefully it'll all go
smoothly...

BTW, I do have a full unopened tin of POR-15 gathering dust in my
garage. I could prime the frame with this, and powdercoat over it.
How durable would you expect this finish to be? I just don't want to
go to all this trouble to see rust re-appearing in 4 or 5 years...
And, I want to make sure that the frame has excellent protection in
the areas you can see easily, and more importantly, in the areas you
can't see...

Best wishes,
John