[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

You are missing the point. As you mentioned, if every component in
the cooling system is operating at spec and there are no leaks at any
of the components that connect to the cooling system than there is no
need for an air bleed device at the thermostat. Unfortunately in the
real world this is not always the case. When you consider the number
of connections and components in the cooling system sooner or later
there will be a leak. Any leak in the system will cause air to be
drawn into the system which will eventually collect at the thermostat
leading to an engine overheat condition.

It's easy for people like yourself, who can easily diagnose, replace,
and maintain the components you mentioned. Unfortunately for many
owners, especially the ones that are distant from knowledgeable
service centers or don't service their own cars a loose clamp could
cause an owner to be stranded in his DeLorean. Worse yet engine could
suffer permanent damage

You when you said "The BIG problem is too many cars don't have
a tight cooling system." You're exactly right; that is why the
Overheat Protector is such a valuable item.

The overheat protector is safety device and does just what it says;
it will prevent the engine from going into an overheat condition if
air is drawn into the system. The side benefit of the device is that
it eliminates the need to manually air bleed the cooling system.

DMC Joe

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:

> As good as the idea of a continuous bleed off the top of the
> thermostat housing is it isn't required. If you properly bleed a
> "tight" cooling system it just isn't needed. The problem comes when
> you either do not properly bleed the car (which for the thermostat
is
> very easy) or you have leaks in the cooling system that allow air to
> enter as the system cools off. From my experience (which isn't as
much
> as Joe's) the bleeding part is not that difficult but many cars are
> not done properly anyway. The BIG problem is too many cars don't
have
> a tight cooling system. They are still running on many origional
hoses
> and seals. The systems leak. So instead of "biting the bullet" and
> doing what is necessary it is very tempting to add an "Overheat
> Protector". IMHO instead of doing the overheat protector do the
Master