[DML] Barrett Jackson Auction- AZ

The one thing about the list due to being moderated is the time lag.
People mention that Monster Garage will be on tonight at such and
such, but by the time it gets thru, its tomorrow, and everybody who
was counting on this to remind them, its out the window.  As in this
instance, everybody will not get to read that there will be a mid
1981 DeLorean with reworked "so they say" grey interior, auction #
1207 this afternoon on Speed Channel until after it is over.  Apx 2-
4pm, whenever they get around to it.

But also, this is the first formal time I have heard about and
understood this auction.  I heard it mentioned on the list from time
to time, but I didnt realize the scale of this thing.  Being from
Maine, you tend to forget that there are conventions of tens of
thousands of people all congregated together in a comparibly small
space.  And then you also tend to forget the cars of this caliber
that truely exist out there.  All you see up here is rusty honda or
subarus, an occasional corvette, but nothing truely out of the
ordinary.

Now Tom, what has this got to do with DeLoreans, i'll get to it.  I
was shocked and amazed to see how much some of these automobiles go
for, many of 100's of thousands, some reaching into the millions, as
a 1950's Old's 2 seater prototype concept went for yesterday
afternoon (albeit a record).  Now with all this uniqueness, we all
have stories about people who come up to us saying "Wowzers", your
car looks like a million bucks, or That must cost 100 grand.  Take a
good look at your car, doesnt it seem like that?  The Gullwings alone
should make it fetch somewhere around 80k, not to mention its the
only stainless steel production automobile (not some 6 specialty made
1936? Fords).  For what I have heard on the list in the past,
Deloreans at this auction are on the bottom of the scale.  I will be
very surprised to see this car go for more than 25k tops.  For the 2
1/2 hours I watched the auction yesterday, i have only seen (1) one
car go for under 100 grand.  In comparison, the DeLorean is a
discrace to the auction, as far as the auctioneers are concerned.

I am scratching my head, why on earth are these things so cheap?  It
cant be the cocain thing ingrained in these peoples heads is it?  To
me looking at it, I would say 50,000 at least.  These people say, Oh,
John DeLorean, hes so not cool, lets bid 20 on it.  And thats if
their generous.

Hope I'm not too far off on the mark here, but the value of our cars
is obserd to me.  But your right, it could be worse.  They could sell
for 2 or 3 k "like mint" condtion Fords of the era.

(Yes I know, some of those realy high costing cars are one off
special customs, or owned by someone famous, or have sort of public
story and not just some production based model.  But production
models have been going for way more than even the high end scale of
the DMC at the auction.)

Mabye history will be more kind to us in another 20 years. At least
our body pannels will be able to last that long.

Tom Porter
Maine (dont get out much), USA