[DML] Re: Carburator (David T)

I did not mean to leave the impression that you shouldn't put a
carburator on your car. Your car is to do with as you wish. What I
mean to say is that for all the time and money it will take to do it
would probably be better spent trying to get the origional systems to
work properly. Just think, someday you may want to sell your Delorean,
I would ask you what a Delorean with a carburator is worth? Who will
know  how to service it? Where do you get parts for it and what kind?
Part of this kind of conversion is documenting everything you do so
you can go back yourself if you ever need to or even for a future
owner. Imagine what you will do if you forgot what you did and didn't
know what kind of kit to get to rebuild the carburator? You can't call
a vendor for help, they wouldn't know where to begin! When you take
the "road less travelled" you had better be prepared to help yourself!
When all of the systems on a 20 year old Delorean are set up and
running right I do not think you will be able to duplicate the
performance with a carburator. The origional systems also will stay in
tune for a long time, just not 20 years without *some* maintainence.
Fuel injection is a little fussier about stale or dirty fuel. Once you
go over the fuel system and get it all cleaned up (and use the car at
least once in a while) The fuel system is pretty reliable. I agree
that to put a full-blown engine management system onto a Delorean is
not the "cheap" way to fix things and it probably won't improve the
performance all that much.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757