[DML] Re: RUSTED FRAMES

Unfortunately you already are dealing with more than you bargained
for, depending on the bargain you got. This is probably about the
worst thing to have to deal with on the car. Based on your
description its probably unsafe to drive.

"Fine" is a relative term - if you find someone that knows what they
are doing with a welder you can buy some time, but eventually it's
going to need some serious work if you just keep welding more steel
on top of bad. The steel itself is pretty light gauge, and based on
your description there is not much to weld to. It's hard to get to
everything that you need to with the body in the way. I've seen some
very good attempts at welding repair, and some really awful work too -
 stuff that looks positively agricultural.

Faced with this, you want find a good welder and make sure its safe
enough to drive while you go shopping for a good frame. That will
take the pressure off and allow you to do some shopping/learning/
planning.  They are not all that hard to find from cars getting
parted for other reasons, and the swap job can be done in a weekend
if you have a large group of semi-motivated people (Hi Josh!).
Working more normally figure between a week and a couple of months
depending on your garage and attention to detail.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cajunsprint" <carldavis@xxxx> wrote:

>  Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if a rusted front frame on a
> 81 Delorean could be welded and be fine, I just found that the
right
> front extension to the wheel is rusted through and also the same
> side at the top where a smalled bar goes back  into the body, when
> you push up and down on the sway bar(when the vehicle is in the
air)
> the whole frame will move with it, appreciate any info as this is
my
> first Delorean and do not want to get into more than I bargained
for.