RE: Re: DeLorean speedometers: A new approach

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:30:15 -0600, Nick Kemp wrote:

> As a backup, I've pondered adding a bicycle speedometer.
> The question is not so much where to mount the magnet
> but how to mount the sensor. Just a thought. Any input?

Been there, done that...

After having my AngleDrive fail on me 5 times within one year
and spending over $500 on repairs and replacements I decided
to make a backup out of a bike computer.

I mounted a Sigma Sports BC800 where the dash dimmer used to live:
<http://members.home.nl/delorean/speedo/computer.jpg>
The dimmer was no good anyway, so I ditched it, together
with the clock which has been replaced by some lights:
<http://members.home.nl/delorean/monitor/Cooling.JPG>
(not chronologically accurate ;-)

And as Dave Swingle pointed out, the inner CV is THE place to
mount your pickup system, there's even a threaded hole in the
tranny in which you can bolt the bracket:
<http://members.home.nl/delorean/speedo/pickup.jpg>
The weeping seal on the Drive Shaft has since been replaced!

I bought a special extra strong magnet and mounted it on the
CV with a special bonding agent that's very resistant to just
about everything as it's designed to be used to stick wear pads
under the hooves of cows (no kidding) and obtains optimal adhesion
in 10 seconds!!! Just happened to have that lying around :-)

I've had it on the car since last summer and it works great,
only downside so far i that it's not lit YET...

On the upside however; I REALLY like having a speedo in KMH
instead of MPH and to have an ODOmeter in kilometers too;
very handy when driving routes with waypoints in kilometers!!!

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000