Re: Brakes - Why You Should Do Preventative Maintenance

Re: Brakes - Why You Should Do Preventative Maintenance

Rich - This brings to mind a theory that I have heard, and fully
agree with, about this phenomenon where the master cylinder goes bad
shortly after a flush and bleed job. For virtually the entire
service life of the brake master cylinder, it goes through about
half of it's available stroke. At the halfway point, the pedal
gets "hard" when the pads contact the rotors and push back on the
hydraulics. Over the course of time, the rubber cups in the master
cylinder wear a little away from the cylinder bore, and create a
slight ridge at the end of the normal stroke. Then, when an owner
decides to do the right thing, and flush the system, the normal
method is to "pump and hold" for the flush and bleed process. This
runs the piston inside of the cylinder through the entire stroke,
and over the ridge half way down the bore. That is where the rubber
cups get damaged, and begin to leak soon afterward. The solution to
all of this is to use one of the pressure bleeders to flush and
bleed the entire system without running the master through an
unusually long stroke by going through the "pump and hold". I plan
to carry the pressure bleeders soon, at DPNW. The other vendors do
the same thing, and I would highly recommend that every serious
DeLorean owner invest in one of them.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com