Re: Brakes - Why You Should Do Preventative Maintenance

Re: Brakes - Why You Should Do Preventative Maintenance

While some cars may need extensive attention to calipers, rotors, etc.,
if your previous owner did regular preventative maintenance of the brake
system (and if the car was used regularly), replacing all the brake fluid
every two years (possibly sooner in very moist climates) will keep the
brake system free from water, which leads to rust and frozen calipers,
frozen brake master cylinder and general "muck" in the brake system.

Keep in mind if you do replace brake fluid that has not been replaced
for a long time, you may end up having to change most if not all the
system pieces within a few months since the older parts become the
weak link in the system and tend to leak with new fluid installed.
An example is changing a clutch slave and not the clutch master, even
though the parts are the same age and the master may seem ok now.
Almost every time, the master starts to leak the new fluid within a few
hundred to a few thousand miles, almost like clock-work.

Brakes should be given due attention with at least annual inspections,
along with the much discussed trailing arm bolts. All safety systems
should be given top priority and should not be compromised no matter
if you are using your Delorean as a daily driver or weekend show car.

Later,
Rich W.