Re: [DML] MANUAL SHIFTING (5spd)

In a message dated 1/10/04 11:02:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
john_podlewski@xxxx writes:

> but it only goes into reverse about 30% of the time (ALOT OF FORCE) when it
> does not go into reverse it behaves as it is in 2nd gear, because I guess it
> is!

I had a heck of a time shifting into reverse until I realized I needed to 1)
move the shifter left as far as it would go, 2) THEN lift, 3) move the last
bit to the left then pull back into the reverse gear position. Lifting it while
starting from the neutral position just doesn't seem to work. The prior
owner of my car told me, (before I figured this out,) that he used both hands to
lift it while shifting into reverse! Not necessary if you go left as far as
you can before lifting. :) It doesn't look that way on the shifter knob
diagram, but as I recall, the diagram in the manual does show the need to lift. Still
necessary to go left as far as possible first, though it doesn't look that
way in the manual. If that doesn't get it, ease the clutch out in neutral for a
second, then try again. Of course, I assume you realize that on the
DeLorean, when the gear selector is in the neutral position, pushing it straight ahead
is 3rd. You have to spring it left or right to select gears other than 3rd
and 4th. (That gave met a fit during my first test drive,too! It's a wonder I
didn't tear up the gears test driving it!))

Wayne
11174