Re: Speedometer problems

Kramer - The first thing you should do is to verify that the lower
speedometer cable is functioning properly. Disconnect it at the
Lambda counter (under the dash near the pedals), jack the left front
wheel up, and spin the tire. You should be able to see the cable
drive spin while the wheel is turning. Another way is to disconnect
the cable at the angle drive also, and spin the cable by hand to
verify that the cable is not broken somewhere in the middle. You
should also inspect the plastic cap at the wheel to make sure that
the center hole in the little "hub" is still square. They can get
rounded out, which prevents the cap from driving the angle drive
input cable. The end cap is also known to spin within the wheel,
which causes the same problem ... no drive to the angle drive. There
are fixes for each of these conditions. You can also have a failure
of the upper speedometer cable that goes from the Lambda counter to
the speedometer itself, but this is a rare failure mode. We have
improved lower speedo cables in stock, as well as new plastic caps
(if replacement is required). The only thing that we can't help you
with is finding a warm garage to work in!

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kramer" <jettaman95@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear List,
> Whenever my car gets a problem it gets it at the worst times it
> seems. I left my car outside when the tempature drop hit Maryland
and it is now in the 20's. Now my speedometer is not moving at all,
the mileage doesn't change and no speed is shown. Please tell what I
can do. I grease the angle drive every oil change and it was working
fine before the temp drop.