RE: [DML] Performance Chips

As others have posted, aftermarket chips in stock or near stock engines will
do little to nothing for increasing horsepower. Exhaust and intake
modifications will not exceed most factory-installed PROMs' ability to
compensate for these changes. Forced induction, cams, and other significant
modifications will likely require a change in programming but in those
cases, custom-burned PROMs should be made rather than off-the-shelf chips.

Most off-the-shelf chips only change timing and fuel curves at WOT (open
loop) anyway. What some chips are useful for are turning on cooling fans at
a lower temperature, torque converter clutch engagement points, etc. These
are more drivability concerns than performance enhancements. I have a
Hypertech Thermomaster chip in my Corvette that, in conjunction with a
cooler thermostat and fan temp switch, allows my cooling fan to turn on at
175F rather than the factory setting of about 200F, prevents torque
converter lockup until car is in OD, and accounts for cooler engine temps by
keeping the car in closed loop operation at lower temps than stock. It does
have different fuel and timing maps at WOT but it's nothing you would
notice, let alone take your breath away. The biggest advantage is keeping
underhood temps down.

Al