correct air pressure and then washed #5508. Last, we took some pictures.
I then said "good bye" to my good friend where the seller had left #5508 in
storage in his garage, the suburb of Detroit. I jumped in #5508 and drove
#5508 all the way home -- All the way from Detroit to New York City -- In part
sunshine, then it start to rain and snow during the rest of the trip. I got
#5508 home in NYC with just a minor electrical problem; it was the interior
light switch not touching the door, so the interior light was flickering, so I did
a manual override to shut the lights. I got home in less then eight hours
for 600 plus miles of driving.

Two days later, I took #5508 to Rob at PJ Grady for a complete check up and
whatever #5508 needed, it got it. I had changed or updated many parts, even
though many of the parts were still working, for I wanted a problem free
vehicle.

Since then, I have changed my engine oil religiously (when I can between)
2,500 to 3,000. Because, I drive my car every day to work as well as on extreme
long trips, I make sure everything is up to par and working correctly and the
engine and tranny oil getting its periodically changes, is a must. The
different brands of oils that I have used have been all synthetic oils, forI
wanted to test how the different oils behave in the PVR. I have used allthe
different oils listed more then once, in the different seasons and the driving
conditions that #5508 was subjected to.

They are the Castrol Syntec 5W-50; Redline 10W-40; Quaker State 5W-50 and
10W-30; Mobil1 10W-30 and 15W-50.

Of all the oils, I do like is the Quaker 10W-30, but I have to change it
earlier, between 2,000 and 2,500 miles, for *I* feel the engine is laboringbeyond
those mileages -- I believe the oil is "braking" down. I find that the
Castrol Syntec 5W-50 it is a good oil, but it does not give me the best *feeling*
when the engine is driven "hard," especially on long trips when the engine is
hot, for it feels like the Quaker 10W-30. At the present, I am running on
Mobil1 15W-50 which has given me decent service for the last five oils changes.

FWIW ... I used six quarts of the synthetic oil and one quart of Marvel
Mystery Oil .... Please don't start to flame me on my practices of using Marvel
Mystery Oil. My engine is running fine with no oil being lost or burnt, the oil
level still sits between the two marks, pretty much at the same place at each
oil and filter change since my ownership. My tail pipe is *still* a clean
light gray with no black soot and I still pass New York State's Emission Test,
including the mandatory dynamo test. The Marvel Mystery Oil is a practice,
that I have being doing with all my cars especially with my 1957 S-1 Bentley
for the last 32 years -- It is also a practice that is performed by the many
Rolls Royce and Bentley mechanics of yester years, whom I have learnt it from.
My S-1 Bentley's motor is using standard dino-petro motor oil, for that is
recommended and it is best for the motor's internal components and the gaskets;
non recommended oils "wickers" the different gaskets in the engine which can
cause "leaks." The Bentley's 6 cylinder 4.5 liter motor takes eleven quarts
of oil!

The DeLorean's PVR is a fairly modern engine and synthetic oils where around
during its inception, so there should be no adversities with the internal
components or the gaskets. So far with so good and no valve tappet noises
whether hot or cold with good normal operating oil pressure. BTW.... I have three
plus quarts of RedLine MTL in standard tranny too. MTL is a synthetic oil.
MTL will get rid of the dino-petro smell during the hot weather conditions,
while it shift nicely and smoothly in the extreme cold weather. A bit
expensive..... BUT WORTH IT!

As a habit when I change the engine and tranny oils, I do a visual inspection
in the old oil for the different color metal flakes or particles that is
usually associate for wear and tear. I check my oil drain plugs too for my plugs
have magnet to pick up the ferrous particles. I also "open" the oil filter
to see what's is in it and there have been no signs of premature wear of
metal flakes or particles in the engine oil filter. Again, so far so good.....

So.... I hope that helps.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY