The Motor Oil Issue

I have been reading with some interest the motor oil postings
because it seems that this is another flurry of these. It appears
that many, like me, simply do not know how or do not have the data
to evaluate the type of motor oil needed in their engine. Certainly
the technology in motor oil has expanded considerably since the time
the PVR engine was developed so reading the old manuals may not make
since. In addition, the standards by which oils are graded have also
changed considerably.

I wanted to understand motor oils more and, as a result, I
eventually acquired an e-book called "The Motor Oil Bible" by
Michael Kaufman (www.motor-oil-bible.com). If you want to know
ANYTHING about motor oils, I suggest you get that book.

Not to bore everyone with techno stuff, there are a few points I
would leave with you from "The Motor Oil Bible". First, the "w" is
not an indicator of weight but rather an indicator of cold
temperature performance; Think "winter". Next, I have been convinced
that the motor oil of choice in the DeLorean engine should be multi-
viscosity, fully synthetic motor oil like 0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40, or
15w-40. The "w" factor simply being your desire or need for cold
engine starting/pumping performance. Finally, the filter has to be
top notch. All this means that I believe, after researching a lot of
information, the best oil for my DeLorean is Valvoline SynPower 5w-
40 (I live in NJ) and the best filter is a Hastings or NAPA Gold oil
filter (I have the elbow on the oil gauge sender to make room). If I
lived in Minnesota or Arizona I would use the same thing.

I change the filter every time I change oil ? once every twelve
months or 6,000 miles.

Harold McElraft - 3354