RE: [DML] 15W40 oil brand

I don't know why this keeps coming up since it is defined in the manual....
unless you live far north, near Alaska, deep Canada or where the temp is usually below zero you should just use 20/50 as it suggests in the manual.
Here in Texas it stays pretty warm except for early mornings where I have seen it get below
zero this year, but I am usually not tooling around in my car at 4AM when it is 27 degrees out.

If you review your owners manual, or a workshop book you will see that the grades are
listed by temperature.
10/30, 15/40 and 20/40 are listed for temps below 14F.
Anything above that would be 20/50.

Save yourself some trouble and pick a good name brand of oil, Penzz, Mobil, etc.. and buy
8 quarts, or 2 gallons of that.

Make sure to get some new copper crush washers:
( 16mm or 5/8" copper) (Oil-Tite: 65273) ....for the drain plug or it might leak.
You can get them free with oil filters when you buy them from John (specialtauto.com).

So unless you are skidding the tundra today, I would use 20/50.
- Videobob
VIN# 5278

I was looking through a local Pep Boys store the other day, and had a
difficult time locating 15W40 oil. As it turns out, they only seem to carry
one brand of that weight, and only in gallons. I've never heard of this oil
brand (began with an R, forget the full name). The package had a yellow
shell on it, so I wonder if maybe the oil is actually produced by Shell Oil,
and distributed under a strange name?

While I know there are many conflicting ideas about what kind of oil to use
in the PRV, I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion one way or
another about using an oddball oil brand, as opposed to the better known
ones.

I had no trouble finding the GTLMA fluid for my clutch, which was nice to
see.

Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup