Re: 8 Quarts of Oil / 20 Plus Weight Oil

Re: 8 Quarts of Oil / 20 Plus Weight Oil

I wouldn't recommend going above the 7 quart fill specification. Too
much oil in the crankcase will get whipped into foam, which impedes
splash lubrication of the pistons and cylinders. I've also heard of
foam blocking crankcase journal passages.

I fully agree that light weight oils are to be avoided in all but the
coldest climates. 5W and 10W multi-viscosities are exactly that --
regular 5 and 10 weight oil with miracle additives that are supposed
to behave like heavier oil after the engine warms up. My experience
has been that the additives separate into their own gluey clumps,
leaving you with true two part oil -- watery and lumpy.

I've burned straight 30 weight oil in all my cars for years with no
problems (mild climate).

Recommended API rating used to be SF or so. All single viscosities at
least seem today to be at least SJ. I don't think you can buy brand
name oil without exceeding the manufacturer's wildest imagined
detergent package.

Of course even the best oil ever invented isn't worth 2 cents if left
in an engine too long...

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Video Bob" <videobob@xxxx> wrote:
> I don't know why this keeps coming up since it is defined in the
manual....
> unless you live far north, near Alaska, deep Canada or where the
temp is
> usually below zero you should just use 20/50 as it suggests in the
manual.
> Here in Texas it stays pretty warm except for early mornings where I
have
> seen it get below
> zero this year, but I am usually not tooling around in my car at 4AM
when it
> is 27 degrees out.
>
> If you review your owners manual, or a workshop book you will see
that the
> grades are
> listed by temperature.
> 10/30, 15/40 and 20/40 are listed for temps below 14F.
> Anything above that would be 20/50.
>
> Save yourself some trouble and pick a good name brand of oil, Penzz,
Mobil,
> etc.. and buy
> 8 quarts, or 2 gallons of that.
>
> Make sure to get some new copper crush washers:
> ( 16mm or 5/8" copper) (Oil-Tite: 65273) ....for the drain plug or
it might
> leak.
> You can get them free with oil filters when you buy them from John
> (specialtauto.com).
>
> So unless you are skidding the tundra today, I would use 20/50.
> - Videobob
> VIN# 5278

[long quote trimmed by moderator]