Re: carbon buildup

It is called "Engine Top End Cleaner". I don't remember who makes it.
It seems since the introduction of catalytic converters it is hard to
find this anymore. I am guessing but it probably wasn't any good for
the converters so it is no longer available. You might find some old
stock if you look hard enough. If you have always used modern gasoline
then it isn't much of a concern anymore. On all the motors I have
taken apart they don't carbon up like they used to with the older gas.
Unless the rings are shot and you are burning large quantities of oil
you shouldn't need to do it. I DO suggest you have the fuel injectors
cleaned. A dirty injector with a bad spray pattern will affect
performance. You can't do it with a can of stuff in the fuel tank. The
injectors MUST come off and be done in a tester. You can also pull the
spark plugs. They can tell you a lot about how the motor is inside and
how it is running. If they are all caked up with carbon then you know
you have problems. Generally they come out nice and tan except for
wear on the electodes. Always cheaper to replace but they too can be
cleaned and regapped if not too worn or cracked.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757