The Great DeLorean Key Disaster

Once again, Ken Creason has pulled my chestnuts from the fire and is
cutting and mailing me keys to my car. (by code)

I'll ask this question to everyone:

Has anyone had success getting copies made at their local hardware
store by using original keys or does everyone get theirs cut by code?
I'm no locksmith but to me, this is just a plain, Ilco X29 blank key,
also used in Volvos(?)

BEFORE I lost my key, I spent 3 weeks bouncing around the local
stores (Home Despot, Lower than Lowe's, and No Value) Are the people
in my area just retarded or are these keys special somehow?

I'm not stupid. I knew I was tempting fate by running around with one
key, but no one could operate their little computerized key cutters!
I gave them my blanks, I let them choose their own blanks, and
nothing! Granted, the machine operators were pimple-faced brats who
can't even -spell- DeLorean, let alone cut a key for one. I wish
someone around here used the old manual trace cutters.

I have a DMC repro key from Houston that I want to cut. It just seems
silly to mail it around but if that's the way it has to be...(now I
find out they could have cut it for me. Duh.)

Thanks in advance,

Rich