Re: PRV oil distribution problems

I didn't say to flush the coolant but it is a good idea to do that
every 2 years too when you flush the brake fluid. If you are
envirnmentally sensitive you could have the coolant tested. As long as
it is not acidic and has enough ethylene glycol to keep the boiling
point and freezing point correct you can get by with just putting in
an additive to replace the worn out additive package. The additives do
the following, inhibit corrosion, reduce foaming, lubricate the water
pump seal, and seal minor leaks. You can find the additives in most
auto stores. Some repair shops have a nifty gizmo that flushes out the
coolant, filters it, treats it, and reinstalls it. A bit of overkill.
It is cheaper to just remove the old stuff (dispose of properly, not
down the sink!) flush the system with soft water, and then refill with
50/50 soft water and a premium brand of anti-freeze. Don't forget to
bleed all the air out.
Read the owner's manual, in it you will find the reference to flush
the brake system every 2 years. Good advice for the clutch on a
5-speed too. It seems that ALL British cars like to have their brakes
flushed every 2 years. I never find it necesary on an American car.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757