Re: Grady or Houston?

No one can give you an exact estimate on what it will take to do your
car. In the course of working on it many other things WILL turn up and
need attention. We are talking about a 20 year old car that has not
been properly maintained. It is not far-fetched to have a $10,000
bill. If money is your main concern then I suggest you try to do as
much of the work yourself as you can. Try to find other Delorean
owners in your area who can help or offer advice. Use the DML for
support and technical information. All of the Delorean venders can do
the work you need but aside from how long it may take, I would guess
they would all charge about the same to actually do the work. It comes
down to waiting time and shipping costs. I also believe that you would
get the same high quality of work from all of them. If you can
concentrate on just the mechanical and electrical and leave the
cosmetic to do yourself then you can keep the bill lower. It is always
cheaper to buy a better (faster, cheaper) car than to try to turn a
neglected one into a beauty. It can be done but for every increase in
improvement it is an order of magnitude in dollars. That other
Delorean that was too expensive to buy WILL turn out to be cheaper in
the end. This is especially true if you have to pay others to do the
work. Don't come to the DML for cost estimates on the repairs you
need, the venders can give you that over the phone. Don't get in the
trap of the labor rate. A low rate will just take more time and in the
end cost more. The Delorean venders know how long it takes to do
things, it is just without seeing the car (and in some cases taking it
apart) they can't know exactly everthing YOUR car will need. For
example after replacing the tie rod ends and still having play you
might need the universal coupling, the rubber bushing and maybe a
rack! When they do the rotors they could find a caliper leaking, etc.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes@xxxx>
wrote:
> My concern everyone is the amount of money I have available for
repairs. I would be looking at spending about $6000-$7000. I want
him to give me an realistic estimate and then just fix what is
essential to have a car that can be driven about 2 days a week. I
have another oved]