Re: [DML] Re: Turn ignition key, and starter not activating

Re: [DML] Re: Turn ignition key, and starter not activating

The click is inside the car
This is the 900 mile car I sold him and the problem is no power to the starter solenoid.
The starter/solenoid is new (Oct) (not reconditioned)
The battery is new (July)
The alternator is new (Nov)(High current version)
ALL of the relays in the relay box have been replaced.
The electrical system has been gone over and contacts cleaned but that does not mean that there is still not corrosion

The car has the fuse by pass update and everything worked fine until two days ago. The car has been on the road since October as an everyday driver.

The relay fix is not in the car and that is a start but what is needed is to check the voltage going into the switch and at the fuse box.

This has not been done

The problem is going to boil down to a bad connection or a relay went dead. The problem is to determine the location of the problem.

There also is a connection right above the windshield washer bottle and if that is the problem may be a bit hard to get at for a new owner. For us veterens we know how to bypass that problem by enlarging the hole and pulling down the cable.
(not recommended for most owners)

I hope this helps as I have not come up with any other alternative but what is listed here or on the DML so if anyone can help Ramon it would be appreciated.

I think the relay fix is a good start since there is a click it means some power is getting back there although I think its the fuel relay clicking.

This car runs very nice and its a shame a $3.00 part is causing this much problem. I am not near the car or I would have gone and fixed it. With a volt meter and a manual it should take about an hour to troubleshoot for someone with experience.

Ramon is pretty good with mechanics but as I was up until this year with all the refurbishings I have done the DeLorean is different and until you have taken one apart these little problems can be quite annoying.

By the way as much as all of you know I enjoy the DeLoreans until I started looking for a raffle car and then got sucked into the refurbishing I knew more about Mustangs and Jaguars than DeLoreans. Mine is a concours car and needed the fluff more that the meat so until I started to tear into these things I knew a lot less than many of you assumed I knew.
This year and 8 cars later I am still learning but have a whole lot more understanding and experience with the car.
Its been a lot of work but a lot of fun also. Many of you that have seen the pictures of the dismantled DeLoreans know what I mean.

I will be having a slide or mpg show at Pigeon Forge showing some of the work on these cars. I think it will be interesting.

It will probably Haunt Dave Strangard (SP) knowing what he went through with Vixen but he understands what each car needs to get back to running.

Ken