Re: Automatic car washes- A bad idea?

All car washes apply wax, they have to, to dry the car with high
pressure air the water has to bead up. It is one of the bigger scams,
for the extra money for "wax" you get to see some lights lite up. The
problem with car washes is if the brushes are not properly taken care
of (kept well wetted and replaced when worn) dirt gets embedded in the
nylon bristles and then is rubbed against your car. These are the
swirl marks you can see under certain lighting conditions. This can
happen even when everything is taken care of. If your car is very
dirty with mud that will cause the swirl marks as it gets rubbed off.
This is the reason you see on many car washes 2 attendants with
brushes washing off as much of the heavy dirt and salt as they can.
For a car that you care a lot about and since it isn't that big you
should try not to go into the car washes.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757