Re: Very basic question about SS clutch line replacement

--- Matt wrote:

> So here goes... It was my understanding that the
> clutch line connects from the master cylinder to
> the slave cylinder, and that the slave cylinder can
> only be accessed while the transaxle is out.
> Does this mean to replace the old plastic clutch
> line, the transaxle must come out???

I swapped my clutch a few months ago and as far
as I can remember this is not nessecary... If you want
to swap out the slave it would be handy to be able to
reach everything, but even then I don't think it's a "must do".

The clutch-line connects to a fitting on top of the tranny that
CAN be reached with every thing in place, it's just a bit of a
hassle and an "open box wrench" is IMHO most handy
to get the connection loose.
By "open box wrench" I mean a box wrench with a slot in
it at the top, so you are able to slip it over a pipe, an open
wrench won't give you enough turning space under there.
Something like the bottom one in this pic:
<http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/St
uffingBoxWrenches/adaptedWrenches.jpg>

If you feel you can't reach in there enough, you COULD
diconnect the forward tranny mounts, but then you'd have
to have a jack under the car to support the tranny.
And the jack would then be in your way...

Good luck,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000