Re: [DML] Exhaust Question: DMCH vs. DMUK.

Re: [DML] Exhaust Question: DMCH vs. DMUK.

Hi All

One VERY important point: The stainless system we have on our website is not one we sell - we simply pass on the information on where to buy it which is www.stainless-exhaust.com - it would be a bit crafty to re-sell it since the original "investment" was made by DeLorean Owners Club secretary, Chris Parnham to the gain of the DOC in general, of which I'm a proud member and was webmaster for several years before starting DMUK. The system is, however, a prerequesite to most of our performance upgrades. And before I get another 20 or so off-list mails about them, we approach the fuel system differently in that we get rid of the lambda system which immediately rules out our upgrades for the US as it sends the emissions too high to be able to use cats.

As to performance: The stainless sytem available here provides a lot more torque, and a modest high-end gain, with approriate tweaking of the fuelling (richening it up to beyond the band controlled by the lambda system). I have heard that the DMCH system is a better overall exhaust - and given the headers, I can believe that, but doubt it has more than a couple of hp gain over the stainless system - this is the opinion of Don at Stainless Exhaust.

Club member, Robin Simpson wrote of his new system, fitted last week (removing completely stock system including cat):

Got my D back yesterday after, among other things, having the stainless exhaust from Don Pemberton fitted along with new manifold gaskets - what a transformation !

Not only does it now sound like it should, it breathes much better and is much more flexible throughout the rev-range - it's like having a new car !! Having not had her at home for a week, it was quite like going to collect her for the first time - god I love my 'D' !

There are basically 3 "tones" available for the stainless system: Quiet sounds like an original exhaust. Medium has a nice bass note at idle but screams at high revs in a way that I can only describe as "more european". Standing still and revving it sounds like a very loud chainsaw to my ears and when I first heard it, I was slightly put off.... until I heard Chris Parnham doing a "drive-by" whilst accellerating to the red line. In that, it sounds fantastic. The Loud system is the closest you'll get the DeLorean engine to sound like the BTTF effects sounds, but it's LOUD, in fact the club member who fitted it claimed the engine was quieter without the back box!

I have driven one of DMCH's 197hp 5-speeds. I have also modified my own engine in #1458 with a metering head, CPR and, most importantly, ignition distributor from a Volvo B28E engine, which "out of the box" had no cats and no lambda system, and is meant to be tuned to 1.5% CO with an output of 170hp. I have a cat bypass pipe, but everything else is stock. My first impression of the DMCH car was that it lacked torque - I can happily hold the revs up on my car, allowing the clutch to slip and get me "off the line" in a tyre-sqealing launch followed by a gloriously constant torque curve that see the revs rising rapidly from 2000rpm to the red line, whereupon I feel as if it would just keep going, so change up. This works all the way through the gears, but I haven't had the bottle to take it as far as it'll go in 5th. The DMCH car by comparison, was difficult to launch off the line at the Houston raceway, but once the revs built up, definitely gave that "gravity moving from my arse to me back" feeling that my car doesn't. I look forward to putting a stainless system (no cats of course) on my own car, but at the moment we've got too many customers cars in for me to have the time to work on my own! However, one of these cars is getting a stainless exhaust as well as the 170hp upgrade. I'm looking forward to taking it down the road. It has its steering wheel on the wrong side too...

Martin
DeLorean Motors UK
www.delorean.co.uk

therealdmcvegas wrote:

Straight to the point, which exhaust system is better in terms of performance?

DMCH: http://www.delorean.com/exhaust.asp
or
DMUK: http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/perfomance.html