Re: steering column bushing replacement

I assisted Andy in his replacement of his steering collumn bushing.
Granted, neither of us had done it before and we didn't really know
what we were doing.

The instructions we had were just as you just said. But when we
couldn't get the shaft separated from the u-joint we did some
improvising. I personally dont remember removing the binnacle, but
we did remove the kneepads, the two column support bolts, and then
resorted to classic American engineering, brute force. We pulled out
on the steering wheel, and out came the column, minus the secondary
connecting shaft for the collapsability. That part was still in the
ujoint. However, we were able to easily separate the two with one of
us pulling on the remaining piece of the collumn, and the other
prying open the ujoint seam (VERY rusty).

Putting it all back together, we initially tried reinserting the
inner shaft from the collumn, and aligning it based on the grease
marks. However it kept collapsing when we tried to put it all back
into the u-joint. So we decided to reverse what we had just done.
We took that inner shaft out again, *carefully* hammered it back into
the ujoint, then simply slid the rest of the collumn back on over
it. If you ask me, the extra steps of removing the kneepads and
possibly the binnacle for this (which arn't hard at all) was
definately worth it given the difficulty of working with that dang
rusty ujoint.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "darryl" <darryl@xxxx> wrote:
> "to fix, you need to remove the binnacle, the knee pads, and the
complete steering column by
> seperating the U-joints at the intermediate shaft" - Andy, you must
have too much time on your hands. There is no reason in the world to
remove the binnacle to replace the bushing; you don't even need to
remove the knee pads unless you really want something extra to do.
Just mark the shaft where it meets the upper u-joint, unbolt the u-
joint, unplug the wires, and remove the two column support bolts.