Re: Delorean Destruction

The Texas sun is going to be BRUTAL on the car. At the very least you
should use one of those windscreen covers that go inside the
windshield to protect the dash and binnacle. It will also help keep
the sun off the leather seats and the temperature inside the car
lower. If you have the later gear shift cover with the little medalion
in the center it will shrivel up like a potato chip if the sun gets on
it (automatics only). A real quick and cheap thing for it is just put
a sock over it when the car sits. A cover would be a good idea if you
don't even have a carport. Clean and protect the leather with Lexal or
something else at least as good. Use a silicone protectant on the
rubber seals like the door seals. Use a tire spray with a UV
protectant but NO SILICONES on the tires. Try to keep parked on paved
surfaces to prevent moisture from getting to the frame.
Play in the steering can come from several sources, you have to have
someone move the wheel while you look for the source. It could be the
u-joints on the steering column to the tie rod ends to the rack itself.
Check to see that the wires are attached to the door switches, many
owners have them disconnected so the battery won't go dead if the
doors are left open. You should change ALL the fluids in the car, the
brake fluid, final drive, windscreen, transmission, coolant, and
engine oil. I would do a complete service including grease job,
tune-up and replace the cooling system hoses, belts, thermostat if
origional. For the elcetrical system get rid of the fan fail relay
and/or the bypass wire, unplug the locking module, get the relay
upgrade kit, check and clean all the fuses. If the battery is over 5
years old replace it too. Call a vender and order an oil filter, a
drain plug adapter, A couple of blending pads, and the manuals right
away. Go over with the vender if you have all the recalls on the car.
If not then order them too. Have at least 2 keys. The second can be an
Ilco if you don't care about looks but at least have 2 in case you
loose 1 or it breaks. As you use the car you will find more and more
things do to on it. Right now go check the tire pressures on the car.
They are on a label inside the glove box on the cover. The spare will
be flat so have it resealed with Camel Bead Sealer. Enjoy it. The more
you drive it the better it will run (after you fix everything that
breaks!!!!).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757