From: Soma576@xxxx [mailto:Soma576@xxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 2:03 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Delorean Destruction

In a message dated 11/19/03 1:44:52 PM Central Standard Time,
videobob@xxxx writes:

> (1)
> The passenger window does not close all the way, it goes up to about
> 1/4" of an inch and stops. Any suggestions anyone?

Sounds like a motor problem. Open up the door by removing the upper and
lower trim panels (buy a fir-tree clip pry tool first) and observe the
window
going up and down. a new regulator is probably needed.

> (2)
> Wobbly steering wheel.
> I have tightend the wheel as much as I can, but it seems to be loose
> by about 1/4" up to 1/2" and makes a "tick tick" noise on bumps!
> Drives me crazy! I assume that the famous nylon bushings that everyone
> sells is for thie problem? How are they installed? Is it difficult to
> install?

Look under the dash behind the pedal box where the column goes thru the
firewall. there is probably a black rubber bushing split into pieces and you
might
see fiberglass dust below the hole where the column rubs. to fix, you need
remove the binnacle, the knee pads, and the complete steering column by
seperating the U-joints at the intermediate shaft (near the rack and
pinion). a
new nylon bushing will do the trick to fix that. another probably could be
the
collapsable cage is broken or cracked and ratting around, but you said the
wheel itself is moving, so i think the bushing is the problem.

> (3)
> Dome lights.
> Are the dome lights supposed to come on when the doors open? I have
> put new bulbs in and they come on when they are manually operated, so
> I suppose that the problem would be the switch on the side of the
> doors? I know that the switch that operates the divers side door
> warning lights are sticky and if you giggle it the lights come on.
> However this doesn't work on the other switches, so I am not sure
> of the source.

Does your door ajar light or door running lights work properly? that will
tell you if the switches are working or not unless you have disconnected
wires at
the diodes (near your foot at the gas pedal in those bright blue and red
plastic tubes) or perhaps your lights are wired wrong. use the wiring
diagram to
decode which wire goes where. the picture isn't a scale model btw. the
wire
should be placed according to circuit function and NOT by how each wire
appears in relation to each other on the diagram. no matter what, check all
of your
connections at the switches themselves, and make sure you have a plastic
cover over each one. clean with contact cleaner or an eraser. the switch
can get
jammed in a door or bent at the backside, so replace as needed (they are
cheap).

Andy