Re: [DML] Delorean Cold ..er..."Ocassional" starting

Re: [DML] Delorean Cold ..er..."Ocassional" starting

I don't know the type of battery you have, but convential batteries
on a charger will release a vapor that will corrode the contacts in
the relay compartment just above the battery. I would be suspect of
the connections in the relay compartment, especially at the RPM
relay.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Benson" <delornut@xxxx> wrote:
> The RPM relay shuts off the fuel pump if it doesn't sense the
engine running
> within a limited time frame. By turning the ignition off and then
retrying
> you start the cycle again and the pump runs again for a short
time. If the
> car has sat for a long time a couple of short bursts of the
starter with
> ignition off in between will work while continual cranking won't.
I wouldn't
> keep a maintainer on the battery myself as the constant electrical
current
> coupled with the variety of dissimilar metals in the engine could
create an
> electrolysis condition that could work at corroding the engines
interior
> castings. A battery cutoff switch would be much better in my
oppinion.

> Bruce Benson
> >Subject: [DML] Delorean Cold ..er..."Ocassional" starting
>

> > Had a tech question - My car seems to run fine...once it gets
> > running. I have to admin I don't drive it a whole lot, and I
usually
> > keep it on a maintainer when it's in storage. However, if it's
> > sitting, for say a few weeks... I go to start the car, it turns
over
> > just fine, but it's as if it's not getting enough gas. Giving it
> > gas or just letting it crank doesn't do anything beneficial...
But
> > if you turn the ignition, let it crank for a couple seconds, then
> > shut if off, then crank for a couple more seconds, and repeat
> > several times, eventually it gets happy, starts to sound like
it's
> > trying to actually start up rather than endless cranking, and
> > eventually 'catches' and starts running where it goes into a nice
> > smooth startup cycle, and idles and runs cleanly after that. >
Pete