From: pbartusek [mailto:pbmain@xxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 5:30 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Delorean Cold ..er..."Ocassional" starting

Had a tech question - My car seems to run fine...once it gets
running. I have to admin I don't drive it a whole lot, and I usually
keep it on a maintainer when it's in storage. However, if it's
sitting, for say a few weeks... I go to start the car, it turns over
just fine, but it's as if it's not getting enough gas. Giving it
gas or just letting it crank doesn't do anything beneficial... But
if you turn the ignition, let it crank for a couple seconds, then
shut if off, then crank for a couple more seconds, and repeat
several times, eventually it gets happy, starts to sound like it's
trying to actually start up rather than endless cranking, and
eventually 'catches' and starts running where it goes into a nice
smooth startup cycle, and idles and runs cleanly after that. It
never varies... meaning, if it sits for a while, it takes just as
long to start it every time..it's not something that 'may start
right away'...it's always a couple minutes of this process.

If I go driving around for a while and then shut it off and go to
start it again, it starts right up. Let it sit for the rest of the
day, it still starts up just fine. It just doesn't like prolonged
periods of sitting. I'm just trying to figure out what technically
may be causing this issue, so I can find a way around having to do
the circus act with the starter...it's definitely not helping the
longevity of the starter...:)

Pete

moderators@xxxx

www.dmcnews.com