Re: [DML] MORE 'D' BLUES

I know of a car that high temperature silicone was used to fill in the holes (after cleaning them of course). Smelled like silicone for a number of weeks until it finished drying but has worked well so far. In my opinion, something should be done to clean and plug the holes, otherwise you could easily be asking for trouble later.

Samuel

John Hervey wrote:

Lance and Group, I got called over to a shop here in Dallas that an 81 was
getting water in the oil and the car had an oily smell. After a couple of
hours looking, we found the block was cracked in the square pockets below
the internal water pipe. After it was all cleaned up, it was welded and
everything is ok. Big scare for the customer but cost under $100.00 to have
an aluminum welder come over. My question or statement is, did water fill up
the holes or pockets and freeze and that was what cracked the block.
Would it be prudent to fill the holes with silicone or something to prevent
water from standing.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com