MORE 'D' BLUES

John & Group,

John, thank you for your input and advice. My problem is not 'water in the oil', but 'oil in the water'. The sump is completely free of water or condensation. I do not live in an area which experiences freezing conditions, so I guess I can rule-out freezing. I've had a few days to sleep on the matter and think of the possible causes. One of the possibilities I'm dreading is that the problem may be associated with corrosion. I dread the thought. I guess I'm hoping that a fault lies with the head/s gasket which should not be all that difficult to replace. Which ever way I go, I think that the heads are going to have to come off.

My DeLorean has low miles and sat in a museum for some years before I purchased it. I know for a fact that preventative maintenance on the car was basically non-existent while it was 'incarcerated'. Who knows how long the coolant sat unchanged in the engine during those museum years. I've owned the 'D' for about six years and have changed the coolant yearly, as I do with my other car. I have this gut-busting feeling that I'm in for a torrid and probably expensive time ahead.

Oh, since I've owned the car, I've used a filter sock in the cooling system and have been amased at the gunk it has trapped ..... another reason why I think it may be corrosion.

Lance.

Message: 23 Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:56:58 -0800 From: "John Hervey" <john@xxxx> Subject: RE: MORE 'D' BLUES

Lance and Group, I got called over to a shop here in Dallas that an 81 was
getting water in the oil and the car had an oily smell. After a couple of
hours looking, we found the block was cracked in the square pockets below
the internal water pipe. After it was all cleaned up, it was welded and
everything is ok. Big scare for the customer but cost under $100.00 to have
an aluminum welder come over. My question or statement is, did water fill up
the holes or pockets and freeze and that was what cracked the block.
Would it be prudent to fill the holes with silicone or something to prevent
water from standing.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com