[DML] Re: High Voltage Coils, High Octane Fuel

[DML] Re: High Voltage Coils, High Octane Fuel

Getting technical now there is a property called "saturation". Simply
stated you can only put so much energy into a coil, any more and it
won't give you anymore output. Using a coil with a higher ratio of
turns in it may give you more output voltage but only up to the
saturation point. That point is reached as the RPM's increase. Think
of it as turning the coil on and off fast. The faster you turn it on
and off the less you will get out of it. So that high performance coil
may give you more voltage at 2,500 rpm but as you get up to 4,000 it
may not have enough oomph left in it. There is a reverse efffect, and
that is as the RPM's increase the combustion pressures increase
requiring higher and higher voltages to jump the gap on the spark
plugs. This is just when that oversaturated coil is not able to keep
up. You really have to think of these things as SYSTEMS. By changing
one part in the secondary ignition system you will not gain much. The
difference you may notice is only because the coil you replaced was 20
+ years old and wasn't doing enough in the first place. You could have
replaced it with a new, stock coil and probably noticed the same
improvement. The problem with that is most people will also change the
spark plugs and wires too (at the same time) and give all the credit
in improved performance to the new, performance coil. This is part of
the logic behind the move on the newest cars to put a coil on each
spark plug. Now the coil only has to fire once for it's own cylinder
so you don't have to turn it on and off so fast and you never get to
the point of oversaturation. You can go to much higher voltages and
not worry about the ignition wires because the coil fits right on the
plug. This is how they can get the motors up into the 6-8000 RPM
range. In these applications they will now use a crankshaft trigger to
keep the timming as accurate as possible and do completely away with
the distributer because at these speeds and voltages it can't keep up
either. You get crossover inside and inductive coupling from the
wires, the spark will actually induce voltages in the other wires
alongside and cause crossfire if the sparks don't jump inside the
distributer cap and rotor. Once you start down this path it just gets
more and more expensive and complicated. The moral here is the stock
system is more than adequate for most of the people driving normaly on
city streets.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757