Engine overhauling

Hi folks

I came across this list while searching for info on rebulding a PRV
V6 and, noticing that there is a huuuge number of members here, I'm
hoping someone might be able to help or at least point me in the
direction of a source of help.

I'm in the process of a full rebuild on a 2.8litre V6 out of a '86
Volvo 760. I realise that the car isn't even close to a DeLorean, but
I gather that the engines are virtually identical.

I'm at the point of choosing the correct thickness of seals for the
base of the cylinder sleeves. Seals are available in various
thicknesses in order to set the correct sleeve protusion height above
the block. Without seals fitted the top of each sleeve is absolutely
level with the top of the block. According to the repair manual I own
the recommended protrusion above the block is 0.16 to 0.23mm (0.0063
to 0.0091 inch), preferably going for the higher value. The problem
is that the thickest seal available is listed as "0.130 to 0.165 mm
(0.0051 to 0.0065 inch)". That's barely thick enough to meet even the
minimum height requirement.

So now I'm wondering whether the height is so critical (so long as
all the sleeves on each bank are equal), or whether its ok to use two
thinner seals on each sleeve to achieve the correct dimension (the
manual states that this is a no-no). Volvo dealers have been no help
at all (surprise, surprise) and I haven't yet been able to find
anyone else who has knowledge of these engines. Anybody come across
this situation before? Any and all advice will be gratefully
received. Help!

Cheers

Steve Abbott
(Tasmania, Australia)