Re: Very strange spam IM

[ With all these learned responses, I'm calling this subject closed. - Mike Substelny DML moderator of the week]

> I got an IM from "beachbabe02001" a few minutes ago. Of course, just
> from the screenname, I pegged it for a pornospam (I don't usually
get
> them, but whatever), and got ready to warn and block. Except that
when
> I accepted the IM, it said "I heard you like DeLoreans. Wanna chat?"
> Huh? Very strange. But it quickly became clear that whoever it was,
> they didn't want to talk. I checked the profile, and yep, it was a
> pornospam. Warn, block, done. But I'd love to know how it was that
the
> message was "I heard you like DeLoreans. Wanna chat?" Very very
> strange. They must have pulled my screenname off either the DML, the
> entermyworld.com board, or the bttf.com board. I suspect they got it
> from entermyworld.com, but who knows? It was just so surprisingly
strange.

You didn't say over what service you recieved the message. Nor, did
you say what's in your personal profile. So, if a bot were running
(which it most likely sounds like, especially on ICQ), it scans for
online users, see's you, scans your profile, rips the info from
your "Personal Interests" section, and adds it into a generic
greeting message that it IM's to you.

Once more, depending upon that personal profile that you created, it
can even further single you out. If you've filled out the personal
profile, then you've literally volunteered marketing information to
everyone: Male: 18 years, or older, and you've got that entered into
your profile? You better believe that you're gonna get slammed with
pr0n, and other adult advertisements.

Best protection? Keep your profile as blank as possible. Don't say
either whom, or what you are. Friends, family, and collegues are
going to know who you are, and they'll be able find/talk to you.
These are really the only people that are going to contact you
anyways. If you really want to meet new people online, learn to IRC.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"