Re: [DML] Seat Leather Installation

In a message dated 10/28/03 5:12:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmctom@xxxx writes:

> I need some help in replacing my seat covers.

I have that job to do too. Here's the directions I got- but haven't used yet:

The seats have to be completely removed from the car to change the covers.
The runners have to be removed along with pretty much everything else. The
back rest
and the base can also be separated to make life a little easier. To remove
the seat back panels you have to undo the two lower screws and rotate the panel
clockwise while slightly bowing the panel in the center with a hand inside,
and it will come away. It is a little awkward but you need to persevere!

Remove the covers by cutting the metal hog rings with some side cutters
or plier cutters. The center of the base cover is held in place by some
small plastic rods going through some non return washers. Try to ease
the plastic rods back through these with a small flat screwdriver tool
a bit like re-using a cable tie when you have to ease the plastic back
to let it through. These are delorean-specific items and need to be re- used.

Dont worry if they break as one or two may. A piece of string cord can be
used to achieve the same result. Getting the headrests over is always
a drama but persist and have someone close at hand to squash the
foam down to reduce some of the tension on the covers while you try
to ease the covers on. You also need to buy or make a hog ring tool. Use a
pair of old pliers and grind a notch into the surface of each jaw so that a
single hog ring
can be held between these notches. I am sure it sounds complicated, it is
complicated to try and explain without being there (!) but everything is pretty
self explanatory once you get going.

Hope that helps (you and me both!)
Wayne
11174