[DML] Re: 6x8 speakers in rear

Dynamat is great stuff but I would go easy on it. It is HEAVY and
before you know it you could add a lot of weight to the car! You could
add fiberglass batting in strategic places too for sound-deadening and
it doesn't add much weight. Plug up any holes that sound can go
through like under the dash. Put jute padding under the carpet.
Putting Dynamat in the doors could require a torsion bar adjustment.
Check the fiberglass below the rear window in the center in the engine
compartment. Press down on it and if it moves you have a large source
of noise. Reglue the back window to fix. If the door seals are shot
replace them and that will quiet the car down too. Adding a rear
baffle behind the rear speakers would improve the sound and prevent
noise from entering the passenger compartment through the speakers.
Check the suspension, if parts are worn out the ride will be noisier
then it should be when you go over bumps. Worn ignition wires will
cause noise on the radio. There are a lot of things you can do before
you go filling the car up with Dynamat. Think of the car like an
airplane, any "improvements" usually add weight and that kills
performance and gas mileage.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757